I made a duo of beer cupcakes for the first time last year for my husband’s surprise birthday beer-tasting bash!
They were SO good! And so easy. Bonus, right?
These Corona cupcakes were deliciously light, offsetting the richness of the Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes perfectly and, with just a hint of the Corona, they are the ideal addition to your casual backyard beer-themed party or BBQ.
Corona Cupcakes with Zesty Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
Yields 24 standard cupcakes
For the Corona Cupcakes
3/4 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lime zest
1 cup Corona beer, plus extra for brushing on tops (and sipping)
1/4 cup milk
lime wedges or rind and sanding sugar for garnish (optional)
For the Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
12 oz cream cheese, cold
6 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 tsp lime zest
1 Tbsp freshly-squeezed lime juice
4 cups icing sugar
For the Corona Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and line muffin tin with cupcake liners
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, beating after each addition. Then add the vanilla and lime zest.
- Combine milk and beer and alternatively add this mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture with the mixer on low speed, starting and ending with the flour, making 3 additions of the dry mixture and 2 of the wet mixture.
- Fill the cupcake liners no more than two-thirds full, using an ice-cream scoop, and bake for 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- When cupcakes are done, poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with toothpick and brush some beer on each while warm.
- Let cupcakes cool 10 minutes on rack. Remove from muffin tin and let cool completely on rack.
- Frost with Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Zesty Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and zest and gradually add the icing sugar until well-combined. Beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Fill piping/pastry bag, fitted with a large star tip (I prefer the Wilton 1M tip) and pipe swirls onto cooled cupcakes. Garnish with lime slices/rind/sanding sugar.