I’m afraid I haven’t been a very good hostess, promising recipes and then taking for. ever. to post them, but I promise I will up my efforts, beginning with this one. This chocolate cupcake recipe is my favourite.
Honestly, straight out of the oven, without any frosting, oozing with melted chocolate chips is pure, unadulterated, chocolatey heaven. Please, please do not over bake!
Yields 12 Cupcakes
1 1/4 cups (300 ml) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (125 ml) unsweetened, sifted Dutch-process cocoa powder
3/4 tsp (4 ml) baking soda
1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
1/3 cup (75 ml) vegetable oil
1 (1) egg
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
3/4 cup (175 ml) buttermilk*
1/2 cup (125 ml) semisweet mini chocolate chips
*Tip: If you don’t have buttermilk, measure 2 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice and top up with milk to 3/4 cup mark; let sit 10 mins.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
2. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth and light in colour. Then alternate whisking in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of the flour mixture and two of the buttermilk. Beat until batter is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake in preheated oven for 23-26 minutes. To check for doneness, insert wooden toothpick in centre of cupcake. Toothpick should come out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely on rack before storing or frosting.